I stumbled upon this delightfully handsome chap on Facebook. Archie belongs to my friend Fran. I was messing about with back ground effects, and decided to add Archie to the splodges of paint, it started off as a practice/play, so I had only used my cheaper paper, after starting in ink I then added some watercolour. I was quite pleased how my play time had turned out….why does it happen that way, maybe I should alway use the good stuff? I have now sent Archie to his mum, especially as she will be getting married so very soon, a small gift to cherish, I am sure he will look great framed.
I have not been painting much the last couple of weeks, as I have recently started a new job. I have been riding between the rainy days during my spare moments. Hopefully once I have settled into my new routine I will get back to painting properly, for now here is some of my horsing around, when I am not on horse back!
I have been working on this large piece over the last week, between riding and work I decided it was eventually finished. I started the pheasant in polychromos ( now I wish I hadn’t, as it was not how I had originally planned) I finished the rest in watercolour. Although it was not to plan I am happy with him, the look has way too much detail to my original thought, so I will try again for my intended look very soon in the future. This is one of my larger watercolours at 65cm x50cm which I hope will fit in a frame I have ….if I measured correctly? Hopefully he will hang on my friends stall at Molly’s den, if the colours complement the upholstery they have at the moment that will be a bonus.
This is a quick post today, but I wanted to share this portrait of Eden Bee, taken from her reference photo on sktchy app. Watercolour and polychromos on 200lb coldpress 30x40cm
This was so much fun to create. ‘3 a me goes’ is from reference photos courtesy of sktchy app, in particular I would like to thank Elizabeth Lapsley, the creator and model of the portrait reference. It took a while for me to finish this one, as I seem to flit from one painting to the next, eventually last night I set to completing it. It is 30×40 cm 200lb coldpress, using watercolour, ink and polychromos pencils, I hope you can see how much fun this was 😀.
I have quite a few paintings left in a pile, they are my ‘gone wrong’ paintings, or is it that they didn’t go to plan? Either way, they are rejected….but maybe only for a few days. I really don’t like trashing these said painting, mainly because the cost of watercolour paper makes me want to recycle in some way. I have been known to wash the paint right off under the sink, this may leave a residue on the paper, but once dry, it does suit some paintings that follow this act. Sometimes I simply turn the paper over, and start a fresh. Lastly, and my preferred option, I see which other medium I can add, completely changing my intended look. My usual choice is ink, but in this instance my watercolour horse needed a softer more detailed tool to improve My mistakes. I pulled out some of my coloured pencils, polychromos-I have not used pencils in ages, they used to be my first go to medium. I really felt pleased that they helped me pull this horse back to something I was satisfied with. I am still not completely happy, but ‘My tea time’ is saved from the bin.
I continued over the weekend with my portrait theme, courtesy of sktchy app, many thanks Angela Rivera for the photo reference. This is pen and ink, plus some coloured pencil ( polychromo), 10×7″ 140lb coldpress. ‘ River’